"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."
Scripture presents parents as the primary disciple-makers of their children. The church matters—children's ministry, youth group, etc. all have an important role to play—but when it comes to the spiritual growth of children, there is no individual or organization that has more power to influence than parents.
That's why we've compiled these resources to help encourage and equip you to engage in the spiritual formation of your children. This page is consistently updated as new resources become available, so be sure to check back often!
Getting Started with Family Discipleship
If family discipleship is a new concept for you, or if you think it sounds difficult or intimidating, this resource is a great starting point. It briefly explains the role of the family and the role of the church and includes 6 weeks of family devotions with special prompts to help you engage in activities and conversations with your children.
Resources for Families
- The Jesus Storybook Bible (Amazon)
- The Big Picture Story Bible (Amazon)
- Big Picture Bible Crafts: 101 Simple and Amazing Crafts to Help Teach Children the Bible
- Special God (Christianbook)
- Long Story Short: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God (Amazon)
- Old Story New: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God (Amazon)
- Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations (Amazon)
- This Changes Everything: How the Gospel Transforms the Teen Years (Amazon)
- What's Up?: Discovering the Gospel, Jesus and Who You REALLY Are (Teacher Guide; Student Guide; for middle school-aged)
- The Bible Project videos
- How to Teach Your Teen to Study the Bible
- One Year of Dinner Table Devotions and Discussion Starters: 365 Opportunities to Grow Closer to God as a Family (Amazon)
Resources for Parents
- The Disciple-Making Parent: A Comprehensive Guidebook for Raising Your Children to Love and Follow Jesus Christ (Amazon)
- The Legacy Path: Discover Intentional Spiritual Parenting (Amazon)
- Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to a Wider Community (Amazon)
- Nothing Less: Engaging Kids in a Lifetime of Faith (Christianbook)
- 5 Reasons for Spiritual Apathy in Teenagers: What Parents Can Do to Help (Amazon)
- The Tech-Wise Family (Amazon)
- Choosing to Cheat: Who Wins When Family and Work Collide (Amazon)
- Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family (Amazon)
- Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Amazon)
- Shepherding a Child's Heart (Amazon)
- Family Worship (Amazon)